June 22, 2023 -The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season is here. The second named storm of the season Bret is currently out in the Atlantic Ocean east of the Lesser Antilles. During this hurricane season, the Sint Maarten Police Force KPSM is urging all residents to prioritize their safety by following crucial instructions before, during, and after the passing of a severe weather event.
These guidelines have been established to minimize potential hazards and protect our community members during the passing of severe weather. KPSM would like the community to save this information as part of their hurricane season disaster kit so they can take action when necessary.
Road Safety Precautions:
- Avoid Flood-Prone Areas: To prevent dangerous situations, it is crucial to steer clear of flood-prone areas. Do not attempt to drive or walk through flooded streets, as water levels can rise rapidly and unexpectedly. Seek alternative routes and higher ground whenever possible.
- Watch Out for Falling Rocks and Debris: During severe weather conditions, there is an increased risk of rocks and debris falling onto public roads. Exercise caution while driving and maintain a safe distance from cliffs and hillsides.
- Adhere to Instructions Given by Officers: Our officers from the Sint Maarten Police Force will actively monitor road conditions and manage traffic flow prior to the arrival of severe weather conditions. It is imperative that all motorists strictly adhere to the instructions given by our officers on the road. This will help ensure a smooth and safe passage for everyone.
General Safety Guidelines:
- Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated with the latest weather forecasts and official announcements through the Department of Communication (DCOMM) mediums: SXMGOV Radio 107.9 FM, Facebook Page @SXMGOV; local news channels, radio, or trusted weather websites, the Meteorological Department of Sint Maarten (MDS) www.meteosxm.com; Facebook.com/sxmweather/. Stay alert to any emergency alerts or evacuation orders issued by local authorities.
- Secure Your Property: Take necessary measures to secure and safeguard your property before the storm arrives.
- Evacuation Plans: Familiarize yourself with evacuation routes and follow any evacuation orders issued by local authorities. If directed to evacuate, do so promptly and ensure the safety of yourself and your family members.
The Sint Maarten Police Force is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all residents during the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season. Please cooperate with our officers and follow the provided guidelines to protect yourself and others this hurricane season. Remember, your safety is our priority.